Monday, February 27, 2017

February 27, 2017 Officially in the field!

Hello everyone!
This week has been crazy. With so much to do, it has been hard to find time to unpack and realize that I am in New York! Things here are not how I pictured them, but in a good way. Church is not like it was in Utah, there was maybe 20 people who attended, but two of them were investigators who we taught on Saturday
My first day officially out of the MTC and in the mission field, I committed someone to baptism with my new Companion Sister Stowell!! It was truly amazing, the promise in D&C was correct,  my joy was great when the person, Danielle, said yes to being baptized in July. 
Most people out here in Hamilton have at least on pet, but that at least gives us missionaries something to start a conversation with someone out here. The work is going well, the field is white- I just have to learn how to fully thrust in my 'sickle'. Over the period of about 4 days, we have found about 5 new potentials and confirmed three visits from a few other potentials, so this week has the potential to be very good ;)
I KNOW that this church is true. In even just a few days I have already seen miracles happen, and watched people soften there hearts. One that stands out in particular, was on Friday. Sister Stowell and I had planned the entire day, but our service opportunity finished early, so instead of walking home we both felt like maybe trying a potential who we could not seem to get a hold of the past few days. We walked over- they happened to be outside playing and were very willing to let us come back and teach the family on Monday! The mom, Kiera and her husband Jim, plus two children will hopefully be taught the restoration tonight, and be willing to let us come back ðŸ˜Š
I have been studying and learning so much more than I thought possible, even in the MTC. The world is so much different and unpredictable than I thought. But, I know that everything happens for a reason. Nothing in life, nothing in history, could ever stop the progression of this gospel or the spreading of the glad message that Sister Stowell and I are sharing. 
Something to think about- we are all children of our Heavenly Father. We all came here for a reason, and Heavenly Father wants us all to return to him. ALL being the key word. There are people who you associate with who are waiting and willing to listen to a message of hope, peace, and pure love. Isn't it interesting that the Savior, the perfect example said "Love everyone". Loving those who are different is difficult. But one way to become more like the Savior is to truly love and not judge those around us. I think if each of us prayed and asked for Charity towards others, we would have no fears about being rejected by them or talking to them- because we see there worth and love them. 
I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet called by God. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I am like Moroni when I say that I will not deny the Christ, for I have felt his love and support more than ever these past few days. I know he lives. I know he loves me and everyone who has/ will live on this earth. I know he answers prayers. And I know, that being a missionary is one of the most divine callings anyone could strive to be worthy of.
I hope and pray that you all will continue studying and praying, for I know that it will lift your spirits and bless those around you.
Have a wonderful week, and continue Smiling!
😉
Sister Elgaaen
 
Sister Elgaaen & Sister Stowell



Sister Elgaaen & Sister Stowell in Utica



Add caption

You should really read this book!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment